Monrovia is the fourth oldest general law city in Los Angeles County and the L.A. Basin (after Los Angeles, Santa Monica, and Pasadena). Incorporated in 1887, Monrovia has grown from a sparse community of orange ranches to a residential community of 37,000.
Around 500 BC, a band of Shoshonean-speaking Indians named the Tongva established settlements in what is now the San Gabriel Valley. They were called the Gabrieliño Indians by early Spanish missionaries, a tribe of Mission Indians . The Tongva were not farmers; they gathered wild seeds, berries, and plants along rivers and in marshlands. Abundant oaks in the Valley, such as Coast Live Oak and Interior Live Oak provided a staple of the Tongva diet: acorn mush made of boiled acorn flour.
This station is currently approved for design/construction as part of the Gold Line Foothill Extension project Phase 2A. The station will open on March 5, 2016.
Santa Fe Depot
The station will reuse the former Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway depot, built 1926. The 1926 station replaced a wooden depot built on the site in 1886 by the Los Angeles and San Gabriel Valley Railroad. Installed in 1887, a mule-drawn railway, a single passenger car, called the Myrtle Avenue Railroad at that time ran from the Monrovia station up Myrtle Ave to downtown Monrovia. On the way back down to the rail station, the mule was loaded onto a flatcar and downhill gravity took the cars back to the station. By the early 1920s the street car system was removed. Santa Fe Middle School near the station is named after the Santa Fe Railway.
Angela Lee, pastor of the Fellowship MonroviaChurch and an organizer of the nondenominational service, said the mission is to “promote healing and wholeness and unity in our community regardless of the faith background.” ... A group called Keep El MonteFriendly organized a march and rally at the church on Jan.